I had an early flight from Heathrow a few weeks ago, and since I no longer live 30 minutes away, stayed at one of the hotels not far from the airport. Whilst I was there, it occurred to me that over the years I’ve stayed at a significant percentage of the ‘mainstream’ Heathrow hotels, including:
- Holiday Inn London T5
- Sheraton Heathrow Hotel
- Sofitel T5
- Sheraton Skyline
- Holiday Inn Heathrow Ariel
- Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow
- Hilton London Heathrow Airport (T4)
And probably a few others that I’ve missed off the list too. Rather than rate all of them, I’ll go for the two that will get my custom every time in the future!
Best for convenience…Sofitel T5
The Sofitel is connected to the terminal at T5, is a genuine 5* hotel and a great option whether you’re flying from either T5 (a short walk) or T1,2 and 3 (free Heathrow Express). You’ll pay for the privilege, but on a fairly frequent basis you can get the Sofitel as a “secret hotel” on lastminute.com and other aggregators. It will look something like this:
The screenshot shows £168, but it’s frequently available for close to £100.
Best for value…Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow
Located close to Hatton Cross tube is the Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow. It’s a “low end” hotel, but recently renovated and a short walk from Hatton Cross. It’s infinitely easier than relying on the ‘Hotel Hoppa’ services between the hotels and the airport terminals. You can pick it up for c. £60 in a sale, £75 as a ‘normal’ price or c. 20,000 Hilton points:
I struggle to see myself using any other hotels in the Heathrow area other than the two above, not withstanding these possible exceptions:
- A lucrative promotion / bonus with other providers; I’ve stayed at both the Holiday Inn London Ariel and the Sheraton to trigger IHG / SPG bonuses respectively.
- Significant price difference; it’s unlikely that you’ll find hotels much cheaper than the Garden Inn, but if you want to stay somewhere nicer but the Sofitel is expensive, it would be worth considering the Hilton at T4 (except if you’re flying from T5).
Great to hear from you on whether you have a different set of go-to hotels at Heathrow, and if so why!